By providing the TEAM with goals to strive for, each member spends countless hours of time, effort, and dedication to show love (aka. “Hybrid Luv”) and our purpose. It’s not just about winning a show or a race here or there, it’s about getting there as a TEAM. Team Hybrid has a special formula and will continue to make a strong statement in the import industry in the new millennium.
This TEAM is not just another car club or crew, but a special family of friends consisting itself in a team ideology. Team Hybrid is a well-rounded team with close friendships, a strong management system, honor, trust, understanding, patience and HYBRID LUV incorporated amongst the original (OG) Hybrid Members, the Hybrid Hunnyz, the Generation 2 Hybridz, the Generation 3 Hybridz, and now the 25th Generation Hybridz.
History of Team Hybrid
Team Hybrid history was made on January 7, 1995 in Oxnard, California when James Lin decided that his inspirations and imaginations to upgrade his ride would compliment well with peers who value and respect his work. James spent the first 3 months preparing a wide range of new and exciting ideas in order to build a strong solid foundation to start off his visions.
Everyone knows it’s easy to gather a group of friends, and just give it a title to start a Team, but in contrast, James researches: the name and meaning of the team, the colors of the team, the overall theme of the team, the management system/SOP/leadership circle, show displays/presentation, the type of members, the type of corporate sponsors, the quality of members, hunnyz, and probationary members’ cars/personality/background, and the team’s own original style to present to its fellow peers and corporate sponsors in the import industry at show, races, international/domestic magazine articles and in social media.
There is a varying number of ways to construct a team, but to start with a solid blue print and have an idea that flows makes a Team with fewer weak links. The Team knows how selfish some members can become, having personal ideas to break up the team, having jealous feelings for whatever reason, having lack of support or just using the name of “Hybrid” to make a name of themselves. Over half of the Hybrid members have been with the Team since 1995.
Team Hybrid is a passion each member feels. With a strong leader, there is always a good supporting staff to aid and carry out all responsibilities.
At the head of its staff is:
- Vice President: Wayne Chen. He is credited for spending 3 years in order to take Team Hybrid into an industry level team as well as helping land some of our current major corporate team sponsorships.
- Michael Lin is one of the most trusted and respected Co-Leaders. He is a true OG and is James’ little brother who was there with him since day 1 of Team Hybrid’s establishment.
- Em Suvanamas is one of the most trusted and respected Co-Leaders. He is one of the true OG’s and is consulted upon often for his advice.
- Scott Dean serves as the San Diego Director. He is also responsible for recruiting, Hybrid Forums, webmaster, and social media.
- Archie Concon serves as the Nevada Director. He is responsible for training, educating and leading the next generation of Hybridz.
- Armando Rodriguez is the Logistics Director. He controls all the needed equpiment for show set up and display. Making sure we look good and our sponsors look great.
- Albie Sanchez is the Arizona Chapter Director (In-Training). His core responsibility is building, leading and training his chapter and represeting in the region.
- Brian Bennett is the Chapter Director for Virginia & North Carolina (In-Training). He will lead the area and grow our first East Coast Chapter.
- Sergio Guevara founded and runs the Oxnard Chapter and serves at the Director (In-Training).
- Mike Schembari will be handeling some of the logistics for Team Hybrid (In-Training). With all the display pieces and number of shows we do, having a second set of eyes and hands on our display is needed.
- Justin Lohorn is our Recruiting Director (In-Training). He is the newest addition to the leadership circle and will be responsible for recruiting and training our probation members until they have reached full membership status.
- Chris Uclaray is our Hawaii Chapter Director (In-Training). Chris will lead the Hawaii Chapter at meetings, shows, events and be responsible for recruiting and continued growth of Hawaii.
- Charleston Penesa has stepped into leadership as a Co-Leader in our Nevada Chapter (In-Training). He will take on responsibilities such as recruiting and logistics and assist Archie.
- Joshua Santos jumped into leadership as Arizona Chapter Director (In-Training). Josh will be building up Arizona by recruiting, meeting managament, and handeling logistics.
- Christian De Jesus is servering as the other half of the Northern California leadership. He will will help establish a solid chapter with solid leadership and be equally responsible for that chapter.
There are many other Hybridz & Hunnyz who have and continue to contribute to our team; Team Hybrid appreciates and thanks those members for all their effort and dedication.
The word “Hybrid” means: crossbreed between the two species according to the Webster’s dictionary.
This is our theme: Crossbreeding of engine swapping. Crossbreeding of a variety of body kits styling, rims, suspension, brakes, mobile audio and extracting different parts from the major Japanese, European & Domestic car-makers (Toyota, Lexus, Acura, Honda, Nissan, Ford, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, Lamborghini, etc.) as well as specialty aftermarket manufacturers. Crossbreeding a variety of interiors, exterior paint colors, and graphics. Crossbreeding a diverse Team with every make of car ranging from Honda, BMW and Lamborghini. Crossbreeding of ethnicities of Hybrid members/hunnyz.
This combination of many different members and cars is a rare occurrence in the Import Teams. Unlike the teams of today, Team Hybrid is a relatively lasting and strong in their ties due to the everlasting Hybrid luv amongst the members.
Throughout the existence of Team Hybrid, the organization has won over 4500+ trophies and awards. Team Hybrid cars have been featured in various magazines/DVD’s throughout the United States, Canada, Australia, Mexico, Brazil, Japan, Russia, and Europe. Team Hybrid vehicles not only attend car shows such as Motion Auto Show, Formula D & Motor Trend Auto Show, Team Hybrid vehicles have also attended consumer and trade shows such as the Greater Los Angeles Auto Show, CES, and SEMA as well as toured with major OEM manufacturers like Toyota throughout the US. At these shows, Team Hybrid represents itself and its sponsors in the utmost professional manner. Not only do Team Hybrid vehicles physically represent in the United States, Team Hybrid vehicles have also been shipped to foreign nations to attend sponsored races as pace cars.
Putting it simply, the legendary tradition of Team Hybrid has been blessed throughout the years and will continue to grow and prosper. Our team model and philosophy has truly been the most original and one of a kind. Not only is it measured by our success, but by the various import teams out there modeling themselves after us or asking us for guidance in their organization. We have our own way of managing this team and will never be like X Crew or Y Team. Our members believe in the tradition James and the other co-leaders have envisioned. We’ve had our ups and downs like any other Team, but because we truly believe in ourselves along with the President’s everlasting faith in our Team, we stay true to our game. This Team has become a second family to all of us now and we will grow together not only in the import scene, but in life as well.
“May our 25+ years of legendary tradition continue making history…” – James Lin